Sunday, November 07, 2010

Masks


mask is an article normally worn on the face, typically for protection, concealmentperformance, or amusement. Masks have been used since antiquity for both ceremonial and practical purposes. 
They are usually worn on the face, although they may also be positioned for effect elsewhere on the wearer's body, so in parts of Australia giant totem masks cover the body, whilst Inuit women use finger masks during storytelling and dancing.
 The word "mask" came via French masque and either Italian maschera or Spanish máscara. Possible ancestors are Latin (not classical) mascusmasca = "ghost"; Hebrew masecha= "mask"; Arabic maskharah مَسْخَرَۃٌ =jester, "man in masquerade", maskhara مَسْخَرَ = "he ridiculed, he mocked", masakha مَسَخَ = "he transformed" (transitive).

{ Taken from Wikipedia }

~*~*~*~

Behind smiles, sunglasses and masks that we put on, lies the real us. 
Underneath the facade we lie, mostly broken, sometimes just chipped and scarred.
We hide beneath these masks, our protective shield of sorts,
neither letting anyone in nor letting anything out.
Darkness, an abyss, nightmares, horrors, shame, worry, hurt 
linger behind our mask, molded to our skin.
At times, because we are so used to wearing our masks,
we forget who we are, who we are called to be.
We push others away or we pretend that everything is okay
only our true selves know that it isn't so.

Now, a couple of years ago, I went for a church camp, one that I can't remember much about though I remember making a plaster cast of my face. My face as it was without any masks. I remember the feeling of plaster or strips of something being placed on my face, layer after layer after layer and then waiting for it to dry and then finally removing it. It was a symbolic act for us, taking of our masks and finally showing our imperfections, scars, hurts and tears. 

It was very emotional for many people, even myself. Till today, I still keep that mask. I feel like throwing it away (its quite ugly really, kinda like the mummy returns but not quite), but it reminds me of the act of lifting up and taking off my mask and being just who I am, as I am. 

I don't think life is ever easy. There will always be mountains or hills to climb and overcome. Trials and temptations a plenty to soar across and many difficult people whose only reason for existence it seems, is to make your life miserable. 

However, I am heartened by the fact that there is always hope on the horizon if we place our faith and trust in God to guide us through our life's path. For my part, it has never been easy to remove my mask fully but its been encouraging. Am hoping that in time, I will learn to come to terms with myself and with the world around me so that I would not need to be wearing any masks at all. One day soon... I am ever hopeful.

2 comments:

Brian said...

wonderfully written

Brian said...

wonderfully written piece

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...