Friday, November 19, 2010

Bali Adventure #9 - Padi Fields in Ubud



I believe it was the third day of our trip and we were off to a good start. The weather was sunny but not too hot. Our guide, Yandi, decided to take us on a more scenic route around Ubud before stopping at the Ubud Art Market for some browsing around (that's for another post!). While driving around Ubud, you will see heaps of padi fields in various stages of growth. Some of the padi might be golden ripe or some may still be green and young. Not only that, but not all padi is planted on terraces as you can see in the photos below.

Anyways, along the quiet country road, Yandi stops the van and plucks us a some padi to touch and to take home as a souvenir (which I did keep!). It was a little ways off that we noticed some locals in the fields. We decided to stop to take some photos of them working when they suddenly beckoned us to join them on the fields. Needless to say, I was one of the of the first ones there. I touched the padi and swirled it round like the lady showed me too. It was also great that we could converse with them since we knew Bahasa Malaysia which was some what similar to Bahasa Indonesia. 

After all of us tried to swirl the padi and had taken enough photos, we bordered the van and waved goodbye to the locals who were so hospitable. These were the sorts of experiences that I treasure the most. The feeling of doing something that I the city girl would never experience. That is also another reason why I think our tour guide was pretty good, he took the trouble to bring us to places that were out of the way just to show us how it was for the locals. Definitely one of the highlights of my Bali trip *smiles*

















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...