Saturday, September 03, 2005

MERDEKA! MERDEKA! and MERDEKA!

Merdeka came and went and the sense of patriotism that I briefly felt whilst watching commercials on telly and hearing those 3 words "MERDEKA! MERDEKA! MERDEKA!" on the radio disappeared like the remnants of the fireworks that sparkled momentarily in the night’s sky over certain areas in the city.

I sat with the Possum, hopefully awaiting Ekano's repeat of the previous years spectacular display of fireworks but was sorely disappointed when the only fireworks I saw that night came from somewhere quite far of.

So there we sat dejectedly in the car somewhere near Damansara Perdana, a can of Shandy between us and a cold large thin crust aloha chicken pizza from Domino's in the backseat waiting to be consumed. After moments of waiting for... something... anything... we left. We went to the Possum's house and watched "Duece Bigalow: European Gigolo" and played Burnout 3 on PS2 till 5am in the morning. Filled with pizza and juice and sinful bittersweet chocolate, I curled up in a ball and slept.

I suppose I never fully appreciated what “MERDEKA!” really was all about. After all, I am blessed to have been born and raised in a country which is relatively peaceful. Even when riots rocked us and made us fear the unknown future, I was safe; protected in this shell where nothing could harm me. So I suppose I was never really thankful for living in a peaceful country and for appreciating our forefathers/mothers for fighting for this independence. the sacrifices they made seem foreign and too far back in ‘sejarah’ to even be thought about.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Even before I wrote the article '48 Reasons Why I Love Malaysia’ I already had realised that though not exactly perfect, Malaysia was indeed a wonderful place to live in.

Although I did not wave the Malaysian flag from my roof top, hang up unnecessary amounts of flags all over my house and car, or cry emotional whilst screaming “MERDEKA! MERDEKA! MERDEKA!” on top of my lungs not participate or go for any celebrations or parades, I am truly thankful for being a Malaysian.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...