Thursday, August 19, 2004

Light a candle..

Every Sunday or Saturday (depending when I go for mass) for as long as I can remember, I have been lighting candles at church. I am not sure when i started nor the real sybolism for doing so. For me, and I think many others, we see the act of lighting candles to be a sign of hope, of better things to come. For in the darkness, light brings hope and symbolizes comfort. So I suppose along with my prayers, I light candles.

I am not sure if this was a coincidence, I believe it is not.. but when I went to Camerons earlier this year for a church youth camp, I had the strangest experience. I was passing a grotto of Our Lady (Mother Mary), and I wanted to light a candle, but I didn' have any with me. Everyone had already left the church and was heading back to the hostel when suddenly something told me to look to the left of the statue and lo and behold, there were 3 candles there. I was so happy and lit them hurriedly as it was getting dark and I was alone (yeah I am a wimp!)Anyways, the whole experience was wonderful and I had a really peaceful time there praying at the grotto with 3 candles shinning brightly in the ever growing darkness.

Those of you who already know the circumstances in my life and has kept close tabs on me during this 'strange' phase of my life, thank you from the bottom of my heart. For those of you who have no idea, it is ok. The reason for all this talk about candles and hope is because I need that now more then ever.. Hope. Something so elusive, something that everyone strives to hold on to..

Things are looking up for me, yet as I have mentioned in the other blogs, nothing is the same. Its like this painting which is smeared which needs restoration to get back to its former beauty. So, perhaps what I need is more hope that in time, the painting will be as it was before, or maybe even better than before. Hope.. I cling to it so desperately.. I need another miracle I thinks..

Light a candle,
Keep it burning for me..
Offer to the night a thousand rosaries
Light a candle,
Keep it burning for me..
To shine me home at the end of this lonely road ..
Someone please come save me..
Someone please pray for me..

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...