Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Calligrapher’s Daughter

Seen @ BookXcess

The Calligrapher’s Daughter by Eugenia Kim         RRP: RM99.90 Price: RM19.90
Najin Han, the privileged daughter of a calligrapher, longs to choose her own destiny. Smart & headstrong, she is encouraged by her mother-but her stern father is determined to maintain tradition, especially as the Japanese steadily gain control of his beloved country. When he seeks to marry 14-year-old Najin into an aristocratic family, her mother defies generations of obedient wives & instead sends her daughter to serve in the king’s court as a companion to a young princess. But the king is soon assassinated, & the centuries-old dynastic culture comes to its end. In the shadow of the dying monarchy, Najin begins a journey through increasing oppression that will change her world forever. As she desperately seeks to continue her education, will the unexpected love she finds along the way be enough to sustain her through the violence & subjugation her country continues to face? Spanning 30 years, 
The Calligapher’s Daughter is an exquisite novel about a country torn between ancient customs & modern possibilities, a family ultimately united by love & a woman who never gives up her search for freedom.

This will probably be the next book that I purchse {yes yes... I know I have heaps of unread delights waiting in boxes and big big black bags... but you know me, the book collector and lover}! The synopsis of ths story sounds really good and look at the price!!! RM19.90! You know what that is right? A steal! 

For the benefit of my readers who are not familliar, books in Malaysia are not cheap. They go from RM32.90 upwards depending on who the publisher is, whether it is a paperback or a hardcover and if they are new books or older ones. Most savvy Malaysians and of course book lovers will know to shop during sales. 

The best book sale I have been to is the Big Bad Wolf book sale. I bought heaps and heaps of books for a fraction of the price {I paid maybe 10%-25% of the original price} and saved heaps as well. My parents kinda support my passion for books but hate the fact that I have so many boxes of them. I hate that too but really, with the job that I have and my passion for arts and crafts, interweb surfing, TV series watching and etc... books get sidelined at times.

BookXcess the company that also organises the Big Bad Wolf sale is also an awsome place to buy books as the prices are reduced quite considerably. I love the fact that more people have access to books now. I can't wait to dive into my new books and flip through the pages and touch their covers.......... {ok... I just sounded like a wierdo. forgive me! I just love books!!!}. So if you are a Malaysian who loves books and has never been to BookXcess, please please go {Btw, am not endorsed or paid to write this. I just heart books}. It's an awesome book haven! Happy Reading all!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...